Welcome

The CoolRVers were actually a couple of retirees, Judy and Luke Rinehimer and their rescue German Shepherd dog, Miss Shady Lady. We were "extended-time" travelers for many years with a homebase in Cool, California for 40 years. Luke passed away in May 2019 and I continued to RV. Many followed along with our travels throughout North America in our 40' "rolling condo" and our later downsized Class C motorhome, enjoying the RV lifestyle. Your comments are always welcomed.


Click photos to view the images enlarged. Use your BACK arrow to return to the blog.





Monday, April 17, 2017

"N" IS FOR NUMBERS (#AtoZChallenge)

So, what are YOUR numbers?   We actually ask that question to each other almost daily but we need to put the question into context.  Today's #A to Z Bloggers Challenge letter of the day is "N" so my blog for Monday, April 16 is "N" IS FOR NUMBERS!

NUMBERS ON THE ROAD...

We encounter lots of different numbers on our traveling days.  If I have done my logistical homework the night before a travel day I should be able to say how many miles we will travel until our next stop-over location. Generally, when traveling multiple days to get from Point A to Point B we will try to drive 200-300 miles a day. We ARE RETIRED and don't have to meet distance or time deadlines. I am not an early morning person so we might not get on the road until about 9:00 or 10:00 a.m., and then we will make Rest Area stops as needed for driver breaks, dog walking, lunch, and sometimes naps. I try to confirm campground/RV park reservations in the afternoon and then hope to arrive before dusk. More numbers for our various campground membership discounts will be needed at check-in.
Our TPMS control screen

The motorhome has its own set of numbers that must be monitored every travel day. We use the Tire-SafeGuard tire pressure monitoring system (TMPS) to check the six RV tires and the four tires on our Honda CR-V "towed" car.  It let's us know with very loud alarms if one of the tires is malfunctioning.  Twice it has alerted us to a flat tire on the car when we were towing it.  Otherwise, towing is so seamless we would not have felt the tire going flat.

Instrument Dash Displays
The laptop for SilverLeaf and the TPMS sit on the dash
Our 2007 Itasca Horizon 40' TD motorhome has a 400 HP Cummins engine and that requires constant monitoring.  The dash displays are difficult to read while traveling at 55 MPH so Luke has added a SilverLeaf Electronics software program to a small laptop computer that rides on the dash. He monitors all the numbers on this display!

"VMSpc is an intelligent data translator that links between your USB port and engine diagnostic connector on your rig. Together with the special software, it allows you to read performance and diagnostic information right on your laptop computer. You get complete real-time performance gauges, diagnostics, trip information and graphing system that lets you display any number of parameters at once. You can even store the engine data to a file and load it into a spreadsheet."
Sample SilverLeaf screen display.

MORE RV NUMBERS TO MONITOR

Visitors to the motorhome always comment on the electrical control center that sits just behind my seat.  Now that we have 870 watts of solar panels on our roof I can turn on our "inverter" to power electrical outlets while traveling down the road. I typically run my smartphone charger and GPS navigational devices in addition to small air circulation fans set on the floor to keep the dog cooled off on hot days.
This display monitors the status of the power going to our "coach" batteries.


MEDICAL NUMBERS...

On the medical end of the question "What are your numbers" we can have lots of different answers. We are both Diabetic so we have "fasting blood sugar" meter numbers first thing in the morning to report. Both of our doctors like the idea that we use computer grid sheets for recording our blood sugar numbers before each meal and at bedtime.  Yes, our OneTouch Verio Meters will provide averages and charts, there is more accountability if we have to tell each other what our number was when we got up. The blood sugar readings also inform us as to the amount of insulin we both must inject.
Luke has been on insulin for many years but I just started "shooting up" in February. I am providing my "chronic health educator" extra Excel spreadsheet reports while we adjust the number of  "insulin units" I inject at bedtime and in the morning.  We both also use diabetic medications to control our "numbers".   Our "A1c" numbers are in the acceptable range with the help of our meds.

Our "snack" cabinets at home and on the road have been replaced with prescriptions for cholesterol, blood pressure, and "other" ailments. "Getting old is not for sissies!"


Blood pressure readings are also something we both do religiously in the morning.  The numbers are written into our personal charts and shared with doctors on demand.  I am also trying to reduce my blood pressure and adjustments have recently been made to my bedtime medications.  Besides lowering "stress" I am in the process of reducing salts and -- oh, no -- caffeine.  I will be weaning myself from "regular" to "decaf" java and reducing my use of "French Vanilla" creamers all together.    

We are fortunate to have Kaiser Permanente health insurance in our retirement. This means we have Medical Record (MR) Numbers that keep us connected to our Roseville-Lincoln, CA doctors, labs, and pharmacies.  We can also get lab results, schedule and/or review appointments, get mail order prescriptions, and research almost anything online at KP.org.  We have even had video and telephone appointments while traveling.  When we go to Southern California, Oregon, or Washington state we also have MR Numbers for those locations. Oh, we can't forget our Medicare numbers, too!


NUMBERS ARE NOT FOR ME

In school I hated math so if I need to count past my 10 fingers then it is time for a calculator or an Excel spreadsheet.  I know my life is surrounded by numbers but that's all you are getting in this blog:  N is for Numbers!  

BE SURE TO GOOGLE SEARCH THE OTHER BLOGGERS PARTICIPATING IN THE 

"#A TO Z CHALLENGE"


Tuesday:  "O STANDS FOR ORGANIZER"






2 comments:

Joss said...

Numbers make my head spin!

Emily in Ecuador said...

Math was my favorite subject in school although once I met a computer my senior year, I had a new favorite.

Emily | My Life In Ecuador | Nurturing Owl Parents